About Us and our Members
Community Housing Cymru (CHC) represents more than 70 not-for-profit housing associations and community mutuals in Wales.
The role of CHC within Wales is to:
- Be the leading voice of the social housing sector.
- Promote the social housing sector in Wales.
- Promote the relief of financial hardship through the sector’s provision of low cost social housing.
- Encourage and facilitate the provision, construction, improvement and management of low cost social housing by housing associations in Wales.
- Provide services, education, training, information, advice and support to our members.
CHC launched a twenty-year 'Housing Horizons' vision for Welsh housing associations in November 2017 which you can read here. Our vision is a Wales where good housing is a basic right for all, and the vision's commitments include a pledge to build 75,000 new homes by 2036.
Housing associations currently provide more than 158,000 affordable homes and house around 10% of the Welsh population, playing a major role in the Welsh economy. For the latest economic information, click here.
The social housing sector is regulated by Welsh Government’s housing regulation team and is overseen by the Regulatory Board for Wales. In consultation with members, tenants, funders and Welsh Government we helped develop a new and improved way of regulating the sector. This framework, which has been endorsed by the Regulatory Board for Wales, will ensure greater transparency and is being trialled during 2017.
Read our Corporate Plan 2016-19 and latest progress reports here.
Read our latest news here.
Registered charity number: 1128527