Welfare Reform

As of March 2012, the Welfare Reform Act has officially become part of UK law. This will see a number of changes to the benefits people receive, and how they receive them.

244,350 homes, around a fifth of all homes in Wales, receive housing benefit. Of those homes, 69% live in social rented housing with the remaining 31% in the private rented sector.  In addition to changes to housing benefit and the so called ‘bedroom tax’, Disability Living Allowance will be replaced by a Personal Independence Payment, there will be a cap on the amount of benefits a person can receive and Universal Credit will be introduced.

Community Housing Cymru has lobbied against these changes, which will have a big impact on both tenants and social landlords.

You can find latest consultations on welfare reform here.

Find out more about Supported Housing and welfare reform here.

An update from Welsh Government on 18-21 year olds can be found here