About Us and our Members
Community Housing Cymru (CHC) represents more than 70 not-for-profit housing associations and community mutuals in Wales.
The role of CHC within Wales is to:
- Be the leading voice of the social housing sector.
- Promote the social housing sector in Wales.
- Promote the relief of financial hardship through the sector’s provision of low cost social housing.
- Encourage and facilitate the provision, construction, improvement and management of low cost social housing by housing associations in Wales.
- Provide services, education, training, information, advice and support to our members.
Housing associations provide more than 158,000 affordable homes and house around 10% of the Welsh population. They offer traditional as well as specialist social housing for the elderly, disabled and those with additional needs.
They provide a wide range of other support services for tenants and residents in their communities – and play a major role in the Welsh economy. For the latest economic information, click here.
The social housing sector is regulated by Welsh Government’s housing regulation team and is overseen by the Regulatory Board for Wales.
In consultation with members, tenants, funders and Welsh Government we helped develop a new and improved way of regulating the sector. This framework, which has been endorsed by the Regulatory Board for Wales, will ensure greater transparency and is being trialled during 2017.
Read our Corporate Plan 2016-19 and latest progress reports here.
Read our latest news here.
Registered charity number: 1128527